Thursday, March 30, 2006

Another Demon Down

I’m making great progress with my new meditation regimen thanks to Jack Kornfield’s book A Path With Heart. Buddhist spirituality is truly akin to modern psychology, e.g. wrestling with demons equals dealing with painful patterns. Naming the demon is a huge step towards banishing it and even vanquishing it. Today, I got a big one. I was trying to figure out what to call it when a phrase of my poet friend, Frank Golden, came to mind. The minute I said to myself "it’s the demon of The Appalling Vista" – and burst out laughing – I knew I had it. This, of course, refers to that dreadful cataract which can coat the eye and make you view your entire life – past, present, and future – with such cruel and devastating judgment that there is nothing in sight but a bleak wasteland. Awful. A poisoned whisper in the mind. A killing lie. A demon.

No comments: