Saturday, July 01, 2006

Happy Canada Day!


Bonne fete du Canada! (Je m'excuse, but if anyone knows how to get the 'e' with a proper accent on Microsoft, please let me know and I'll correct it.) This is a pic of the flag I have hung in my front porch. I am missing all the celebrations back home! When I was a kid, it wasn't a big deal. No wonder. It was called "Dominion Day". Puis, le 27 octobre 1982, le 1er juillet devint officiellement "Fete du Canada." Back then, we didn't have a national anthem or a flag either -- just God Save the Queen and the Red Ensign, the flag of the British Navy. Pierre Trudeau changed all that, our greatest and sexiest Prime-Minister. Must remember to add him to my list of heroes on my website FAQ page. He was a red rose on our country's lapel.

8 comments:

Sabrina said...

On my computer, hit control/shift/^ followed by the letter e, although if you aren't quick you end up with something strange looking...good luck
Sabrina

OR Melling said...

Tried it. No luck. Do you mean control/alt? Then I get é but not the e with the tent (what is that called?). When I do control/shift/^ I get nothing. Sigh. But everyone's PC is different, eh? Sigh again. And I think my French sentence is wrong. Bigger sigh. I've been away too long. As soon as I get back ...

Sabrina said...

Hi
I tried it again on my microsoft word and it is control and shift at the same time, then the ^, then the letter. The accent is called accent circonflex. But if the alt is what you use on your pc, then that might be it instead of the shift key. And I thought your French was good...pleased to see someone writing in French actually..:)

Salerio said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Salerio said...

A website called www.asciitable.com has quite a big list of all the ASCII commands. I believe that pressing ALT, then 1-3-6 on the number pad(while still pressing ALT) should do the trick. If not, you can always go to the website and copy/paste... ;)

Salerio

P.S. It's called an accent circonflexe. :)

OR Melling said...

Merci beaucoup, tout le monde! Je vais essayer encore une fois. (J'aime la langue, mais j'ai oublié beaucoup habitant en Irlande. C'est triste.)

OR Melling said...

Tabernac, c'est impossible! I tried everything, including cutting and pasting the ASCII table -- but it wouldn't let me. Here's what I get when I follow their instructions:♪. Ce n'est pas de cadeau ...

Salerio said...

Vous pourriez toujours essayer de l'insérer avec Microsoft Word(Insert -> Symbol, puis trouvez-le). Ensuite, vous pouvez copier cela. Though I'm not sure Blogger might support it.

*shakes fist at Google*