Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Ama et Fac Quod Vis

Yes, Latin is my lingua dilecta, favourite language. Well, after Irish. Ama et fac quod vis. "Love and do whatever you wish." That was the motto Mother Elaine, my Latin teacher, gave us back in Loretto College, Brunswick Avenue, Toronto. I still don't really understand what it means. If you have love in your heart, you can do no wrong? If you love what you are doing, the sky's the limit? As long as you love, you can do whatever the hell you want? Needless to say, the latter interpretation was the one I chose back in high school but I thought it rather odd advice from a nun. Now I know loads of people had nightmarish experiences with the Catholic clergy back in the pre-Vatican II days of Roman Catholicism and many consider themselves "recovering Catholics." I have a few bones, myself, to pick with my old church, but I have no complaints whatsoever against the order of Loretto sisters. They were fabulous. Most of them were young, pretty nuns with great intellects. They were feminists quite early on and made a point of telling us "make your mark in the world, girls, you are not only here to be wives and mothers." Quite a different message from what the rest of society and the Catholic Church at that time were saying, let me tell you. I have the fondest memories of all my teachers, both nuns and lay persons, in that school. I loved being there.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

it is a Saint Augustin aphorism. It means that you can do anything you want in your life and if your heart is filled with love for all the living things on this earth (especially the bad ones like humans :-) you will never go wrong.

Dario, Italy.

Anonymous said...

love is the ground...harming becomes..not possible..
if one has loving kindness....

OR Melling said...

Ah yes, I see now. Gratias vobis ago. :)

Anonymous said...

This saying was stamped on the back of the t-shirt that was given to me, as I started my first year at L.M.U., in the College of Communications and Fine Arts. Being in the field of the Dramatic Arts, and knowing that the field of acting is not a straight path, where many who come with the "Big Dream" in mind, only find themselves doing something else, I interpret it as an encouragement to set one's sights on one's goals, and to persist; wherever your heart is set onto, it shall take you there.

OR Melling said...

Nice interpretation. Had to look up L.M.U. to see where you were! Thanks for commenting and good luck in your career and on your path.

OR Melling said...

ps there were a few LMU's but I'm guessing Loyola Marymount is the correct one? You can't beat the Jesuits for an excellent education. pps have you seen the singing nun on The Voice in Italy (youtube)? I think she's brilliant - pure joyful energy. She's definitely following the Augustinian motto!

Elizabeth de Rueda said...

Kim Jaejoong just got this tattooed on his body...

OR Melling said...

Ah, that explains the sudden huge jump in hits on my blogspot, LOL. People searching for ama et fac quod vis, no doubt.