Sunday, September 24, 2006

Celtic Latin & Hurricanes

It was some night. I headed into Dublin last Thursday to attend a lecture at the Royal Antiquarian Society by Dr David Howlett of the Bodleian Library at Oxford (I am not worthy). He invited me to hear him speak as I have reviewed his work on Celtic Latin texts in Books Ireland. (In fact I mentioned one of his books in a very early blog when I quoted a centurion who died in Roman Britain.) Dr Howlett is not at all your usual fusty boring academic. Witty and gregarious, he speaks with lyrical enthusiasm about the early Irish and their complex and eccentric (one might say daft) word-play with Latin texts. After the lecture, I headed home in the dark of night through the tail end of a hurricane. Trees were down, the roads were strewn with branches and leaves, and I had to grip the steering wheel to keep the car in its lane. I was certainly glad I was driving a heavy old Ford and not some sleek light model!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Ouch! Hurricanes are no fun. Having been through Hugo on the eastern coast of South Carolina. Dangerous things those. However, living in Texas taught me to fear Tornados. Those suckers can pop up anywhere without any warning at all. Scary, feels as if the hounds of hell are directly on your heels.