Sunday, October 22, 2006

Chilling Out

This week was defrag time after the stress of the deadline. Slept a lot and read Widdershins by Charles de Lint; loved every bit of it, especially the Native cousins. My honey was away and he sent me some music. Sigur Rós, an amazing Icelandic group whose music is fey, wyrd, and wintry of soul. Have a look at them on www.sigur-ros.com. There is a magical video of a song "Glósóli" from their album Takk, but you can view it better on YouTube. It's a version of the fairy tale of the Pied Piper. My daughter says the little one at the end makes it, but I don't think so. Stunning images, exquisite music. The CD I have is untitled. They are truly beautiful and strange. Tried to post an image of the album cover, but blogger is not responding tonight.

2 comments:

Salerio said...

Oh, I definetly think the little one makes it. Then the parents in the town all go through depression due to lack of children. This depression is then changed to anger towards the Piper, who took away all their children(It's HIS fault, they think, completely forgetting the nine hundred and fifty bucks he's still owed) and they storm fairyland, trying to get to the piper. However, along the way they get eaten by one of those unnamed creatures of the Dark Forest!

Anyways...

How does that singer's voice get so HIGH? My falsetto is cringing.

OR Melling said...

I dunno. That little one looked like he was going down, not up. And I was thinking there was a metaphor here about children crossing over into adulthood, and not all of them make it. Four teenaged boys died in a car crash in Co. Monaghan this week. They were racing, and no doubt believed they would live forever. Heartbreaking.