Saturday, December 16, 2006

Christmas Listening

Couldn't go dancing tonight. Too much to do! Last of the Christmas cards gone, but a ton of gifts to wrap, especially the ones for family dinner tomorrow. There are still decorations to go up in the house and my desk is a mess. Sigh. But here is the music that is keeping up my spirits as I work away:
Prairie Ceilidh Christmas - western Canadian band called Prairie Ceilidh singing English, Irish, French, and Scottish carols, plus a cowboy carol for the lads out on the range, the Huron carol, and a wonderful song by Tim Janz (in the band) called A Winter Wish (for Sarah). He's got a beautiful voice, bit like Stan Rogers.
Celtic Christmas Moods - gorgeous instrumentals by Ceol CĂș Chulainn, playing uilleann pipes, whistles, flutes, accordian, keyboard, bodhran, fiddle.
Songs for a Celtic Christmas - AnĂșna, who really don't need an introduction. Yes, they were the ones singing for the first Riverdance extravaganza. Beautiful voices.
A Guitar For Christmas -Liona Boyd looking like an angel on the cover, swathed in white.
Carols From A Cathedral - From the choirs of Bath and Winchester Cathedrals (you can't beat a bit of serious tradition) - my fave is "The Holly and the Ivy."
Christmas with the Rat Pack - I was in love with Dean Martin when I was a kid. Jaze.
The Best Christmas Album in the World ... Ever! - and indeed it is pretty good. It's got two CDS, one with trad stuff like Bing Crosby's White Christmas and Steeleye Span's Gaudete, and one with pop stuff like John & Yoko's Happy Xmas.
Must go. More to do. Christmas is coming!

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

You would probably like Winter Harp. They have beautiful music, and several Christmas albums. They play in Victoria every year.

OR Melling said...

Oh, I shall look out for them! Thanks. Love their name. I may be in Vancouver next year, actually, and of course I would take the ferry over to the Island. Watch this space!

Sabrina said...

I will! Thanks!