Monday, December 18, 2006

An Post

Oh, I love An Post, the Irish postal service. They are sweet. I was checking with their Customer Service department via email to see if a parcel I sent to Canada had arrived and they reported back to me that indeed it had. So then I sent them a thank you and Beannactaí na Nollag (Blessings of Christmas) and here's what someone wrote back: Na habair é - fáilte. Which is the Irish version of "Don't mention it - you're welcome." It is truly wonderful when people use Irish here because, alas, the language was nearly wiped out by English colonization; but though the number of native speakers is declining, happily the number using Irish as a second language is steadily increasing. PS Here's the Christmas card they sent me. Speaking of English colonization, that's the central post office in Dublin, the last hold-out of the doomed Easter Rising or Irish Revolution of 1916. You can still see the bullet holes in the columns. Also there is the famous statue of Cuchulainn inside.

No comments: