Sunday, January 07, 2007

A Tale of Two Cats

Here's how it began. Findabhair and I went into the mountains to the Wicklow Animal Shelter to get a puppy. One does not choose pets, however, they choose you. So we returned with two kittens. "Rightly so, said my writer friend Michael Scott. "Writers have cats, not dogs." So that is how Hamish and Emma came to live with us about eight years ago. (This is an old pic as that sofa is long gone.) And to finish this little cat's tale are two quotes about cats from famous people. The smallest feline is a masterpiece. Leonardo da Vinci. There are no ordinary cats. Colette. (The writer, not the spy. I loved her book about her and Cheri, what was it called?)

5 comments:

Laura said...

Aw, I love the idea that pets are the ones that chose their owners. I'm planning on being a spinster cat lady so it would be very touching to think my future cats and I find each other :-D.

Have you and Findabhair gotten a puppy since then?

Cat said...

Congrats! We now have eleven cats (for a short while as one of the older ones id dying of cancer) as we adopted two eight-month old Bengal sisters a week ago. They are certainly full of vim and viger!

OR Melling said...

Nope. But I try to talk every day to the lonely dog over the fence and I buy him biscuits. My neighbour died over a month ago and her family have left the dog to guard the house. They feed him and walk him, but he spends a lot of time alone. A sad big boxer lad. I only wish I wasn't afraid of big dogs. I would take him out for more walks and pet him. But, alas, I am too terrified. And he himself gets nervous if anyone comes too close.

OR Melling said...

Well, with a name like Cat I am not surprised.

Anonymous said...

Hello! Michael Scott, the writer of Irish folk and fairy tale collections? By the by, I just loved the Druid's Tune and The Singing Stone. I read them first when I was about 11 and I recently included them in a course on Fairytales, folklore and children's lit. Can you imagine my embarrassment when a student used mycopy to find a reference and saw the kitten and unicorn stickers I had place in the fly leaf back in the early 80s?!?! Emma