Monday, March 05, 2007

Under a Red Moon

Headed up to Dundalk on Saturday to attend a reading at Hughes & Hughes (see post on Book Blog). Afterwards we all retired to the big country house where the writer lived. After walks and talks in the walled garden, we stayed till evening and had a candlelight dinner at the long table in the dining room, with a fire burning in the great hearth. Later, we gathered outside under the branching trees, listening to the echo of a nearby river, to watch the lunar eclipse. I stood under frosty stars with a blanket wrapped around me. Everyone ohhh'ed and ahhh'ed as the great shadow of refracted light passed over the moon, slowly but surely turning it a pale fiery orange. We spoke of how our earliest ancestors would have viewed this with terror, for it surely looked as if the moon were dying. Yet their descendants, the megalith builders, would have known what was happening, as they recorded lunar events and built the stone monuments in line with them. Then a star fell out of the sky! And Dave Murphy played his black wood flute. And it was a wondrous thing to be alive.

3 comments:

deeshedee said...

Oh, How Wondrous.
It was all completely overcast here so could not see. I miss the Irish sky. You might want to have a peek here. You can set up for your own part of the world.
http://nightsky.jpl.nasa.gov/planner.cfm

Bookwormom said...

Amazing. We couldn't see it here due to weather, unfortunately. :(

This is my first visit to your blog, so I'll have to rummage around & catch up.

The site that has a site meter using little country flags is Neoworx.net. I love the flags & maps, etc Hope you enjoy them too.

Laura said...

Your description gives me goosebumps. I can almost feel and smell the wind of that night.

When I see the red moon all I can think is, "Mars is bright tonight" (from Harry Potter 1) hehehe.