Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Sparta Abú

I can't wait to see the movie about the 300 at Thermopylae. Finn calls it "violence for intelligent people." But I first read stories about King Leonidas and his amazing last stand when I was a child. My local library had a whole shelf of historical fiction set in classical Greece - not sure if by different authors or not - including stories about a young woman who became the Pythia or priestess of Apollo (the one who foretold the Greek victory of the Battle of Salamis), growing up in Sparta, a boy who sacrificed his life to Artemis and so on. This is what I think is incredible: Leonidas and his men believed that they would die a glorious death and be remembered forever. And they were right. Because here we are, still talking about them in the 21st century!

No comments: