Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Broken Heart

I haven't been able to blog for ages as I have been grieving the death of my own dear cat, Hamish. It was only days after the little black cat died. Hamish wasn't killed by a dog, however, but died as he lived - fighting another cat. My neighbour told me about it later. Because the row happened around a car, Hamish ended up with a chest wound from some sharp piece of metal. Poor Finn found him on the pavement as she left for school, then called for me. It is a terrible thing to discover your beloved pet dead and tattered on the ground. But he was an outdoors cat and would never have accepted a life cooped up inside. We have buried him in the back garden with stones and sea shells on his grave. His sister, Emma, sits there from time to time and then looks at me as if to say, "is he coming back?" I've wept my heart out for him. Alas, this was one fight I didn't wake to save him from. His time had come. I loved that big, handsome, troublesome, bad-tempered, manky, and affectionate cat and I will never forget him.

3 comments:

Salerio said...

Oh, the poor thing. I'm so sorry for his death--as you so wonderfully said, each death diminishes us all. I've always had a soft spot for cats, and Hamish seems like one of the good ones.

May he rest in peace.

Laura said...

Aw, I'm so sorry for your and Finn's loss. It's never easy to lose a family member - and those you try to save. Strength and love to you and yours.

OR Melling said...

Thanks, guys. I'm going to post a poem a friend of mine wrote for Hamish. Of course people who don't love animals would think this barmy, but the fact of the matter is - he was a member of my family.