Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Ode to Nova Scotia

Working away on The Book of Dreams and up to the chapter where I include a song by the late great Stan Rogers, my favourite Canadian singer and songwriter. His widow kindly allowed me to use the lyrics of Giant (about Fingal) in my book. I heard Stan sing it live in Toronto years ago at the Fiddler's Green folk club on Bloor Street. Knocked my socks off. Alas there is no video of him singing it on Youtube, but here is one of his songs and some great pics of Nova Scotia. I have set quite a few scenes on Cape Breton Island.

5 comments:

Kailana said...

Yay! I live Nova Scotia. I even know who Stan Rogers is. haha Wonderful place to have an ode for. :)

OR Melling said...

Ah, you are part of the amazing Twisted Kingdom which I keep meaning to mention on my Book Blog. (I shall! I shall!)And your darling cat looks like my dear departed Hamish. (Sadness still.) And, yes, Nova Scotia is amazing! I was stationed in Halifax when I was in the Naval Reserve. Went to Warfare School there. (Now that is a strange sentence.)

Kailana said...

I read both of your blogs, just do not comment very often. :) Halifax is one of my favourite cities, not too crazy!

OR Melling said...

When I was in Toronto last year, someone who attended one of my talks (he was taking a children's lit course at the U of T)said he was a "blurker", i.e. he liked to lurk around my blog without commenting. Hilarious, eh?(He may even be reading this. But will it entice him to comment?)

Crystal said...

I too am amazed that of all the places in the world that you should mention...Nova Scotia! I live in a small village about a half an hour away from Canso Causeway named Louisdale...Have you ever been to the Stan Roger's Folk Festival?