Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Pullman, the Movie

Went to see The Golden Compass on the weekend. I was very excited about going and anticipated a visual feast after the trailer, but must confess to being disappointed. Yes, it was beautifully produced with some gorgeous scenes, but the patchy all-over-the place nature of the story-line worked against the production values. There was a dreadful amount of exposition - always a sign of poor scripting and even worse direction - and far too many bald one-liners to keep the viewer up to scratch. When the umpteenth one was expressed I thought, "oh for godsake, we aren't that slow!" Is it the nature of the book or the movie-maker that makes this such a poor film? Difficult to know. Certainly Pullman's work involves more philosophy and intellectual breadth than Lord of the Rings, though both are of equal epic scope. Perhaps it simply couldn't be translated properly. Let's see how the second one goes.

4 comments:

Sabrina said...

I agreed with you about it being too all over the place. It was disappointing, too, because I convinced my husband, who hadn't read the book, to come along, but the movie did not make him want to read it! It was beautiful, but I thought maybe they tried too hard to make it a children's movie and missed out on a lot. Congrats on the award btw!

OR Melling said...

Oh, that's too bad. Tell your hubbie you can have great discussions about religion, philosophy, and science if he reads them. Love the pics on your blog. I envy you all that snow. And good luck on saving for Ireland. A noble goal!

Laura said...

Oh phew, I thought I was the only who wasn't completely thrilled with TGC movie. I'm getting tired of films spending the majority of their time and effort on the special effects and practically none on the script, or even the telling of the story. Special effects do bring in the general public, yes, but it's a great story that's going to keep them coming back.

OR Melling said...

I agree! And so do the public, in fact, since it did not do well. When will these giant corporations ever listen?