Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Breakfast

Is my favourite meal of the day, except maybe brunch, but that's just breakfast after a lie-in. Okay, maybe brunch is my favourite. Here are the things I like to eat for this meal: toast, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, a big fry of tomatoes, mushrooms, bocksty (potato cake), beans, and egg, porridge with apple, raisins, and cinnamon sprinkled with roasted sesame, pumpkin, and sunflower seeds (oh and when cooking, stirred with the hand-carved spirtle my friend Dave gave me for my birthday - a neat thing and a new word, could it get any better?), French toast with crispy bacon (the latter when I fall off the vegetarian wagon), warm-out-of-the-oven croissants made by Finn and served with a mashed banana, nutmeg, cinnamon and honey sauce, freshly brewed coffee (Fair Trade, organic) or hot Earl Grey Tea (Fair Trade, organic). Latest addition, thanks to my friend Frank and his travels in Algeria: cold cous cous served with pineapple, blueberries, banana, grapes, pear (or any fruit you like) topped with yoghurt and maple syrup. YUM.

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Breakfast/brunch is also my absolute favourite meal of the day; I love to cook it or go out to eat it. When I visit Victoria, I have a long list of restaurants I must have breakfast at. Thanks for the new breakfast ideas!

OR Melling said...

Oh yes, the best breakfasts of all are in the hotels with big buffets! My favourite to date: the Connemara Hotel in Chennai (Madras) and a hotel in Zurich, whose name I can't remember.