Thursday, March 06, 2008

Free Tibet

I'll be heading into Dublin this Monday, March 10, for a peaceful protest against the Chinese occupation of Tibet. It begins at the Spire on O'Connell Street at 9:30 a.m., for silent prayers and waving of flags, then on to the Chinese Embassy on Ailesbury Road, Ballsbridge. I'll probably get a major spam attack from China for announcing this. It happened last time, when I did a post about my friend Siofra's book on Tibetan exiles in India. My webmaster told me I was bombarded from three sources in China, including an official government one! Jaze, it'll be like the Battle of Helm's Deep. Hope my firewalls hold against the dragon. The Dalai Lama was in Canada when I was there before Christmas. The Chinese government sent a 'counter-delegation' to give their side of the story. In a press conference, they insisted that the situation was the same as Quebec in Canada: that only a few Tibetans want to be free and the majority are happy under China. "Have you held a referendum of the Tibetan people to confirm this?" asks a Canadian journalist, because of course there have been referendums in Quebec and the separatist Parti Quebecois has even ruled that province. Their answer? Total silence. Then an abrupt end to the press conference. Sad to say, though, the Chinese government may well hold a referendum in the future, after they have resettled hundreds of thousands of Chinese in Tibet. Meanwhile the world does nothing about this unjust invasion and occupation: why? Because Tibet has no oil or anything else the West wants and we are all doing business with China. For more information and neat pics see: www.tibetancommunityinireland.com.

No comments: