Sunday, March 02, 2008

Mea Culpa

Sometimes you don't know you have a prejudice until it surfaces out of the blue and slaps you - or more likely someone else - right in the face. I have no idea why I described Seasick Steve as "trailer trash" in an earlier post and I am not happy about it. I'm going to delete that post - like washing racist graffiti off the wall - and re-do it, but at the same time I'm not going to pretend it didn't happen. Face the shadow. Deal with one's character defects. It's definitely my own stuff, as I grew up in some pretty rough areas myself in the early days of our immigration to Canada. But what a dreadful thing to say about such a lovely man! You hear the words of his songs and you realise that, though he suffered terribly, he refused to become bitter and twisted about it. He has so much heart and soul he deserves better than my throwaway nasty remarks. Of course, as with all offensive behavour, it says a lot more about me than it does about him. I am heartily sorry and rather ashamed of myself. So there it is. Sorry about that, Steve, you're only gorgeous in every way!

No comments: