Sunday, October 05, 2008

For My Daughter Who Has Left Home

Remember. Home is where you come when it all gets too much, when you are feeling overwhelmed or defeated or unhappy or alone. Here you will be hugged and fed and wrapped in a soft blanket. And as soon as you are feeling strong and confident again, off you may go, without a backward glance, knowing that you are loved. For this is how it should be and always will be for as long as I am here. But remember this also. Years and years from now, when I have passed beyond, and you are feeling overwhelmed or defeated or unhappy or alone; just go inside yourself and I will be there. And you will be hugged and fed and wrapped in a soft blanket. And as soon as you are feeling strong and confident again, off you may go, without a backward glance, knowing that you are loved. For this is how it should be and always will be for as long as you are here.

7 comments:

Sabrina said...

Such a lovely post. Have you read the poem "To a daughter leaving home"? I believe the author is Linda Pastan (sp?).

OR Melling said...

Thanks, Sabrina. I'll see if I can find that poem. 'Course I'll end up bawling my eyes out again. She's gone off to college and has her own apartment in Dublin with two friends. My head knows it's all good, but my heart is broken!

Anonymous said...

I sent this note to my daughter as it expressed everything I always wanted to say but couldn't put in words, thank you,

OR Melling said...

Oh, you're very welcome. What an honour. And that's the artist's job, our contribution to the community, isn't it? To express what is felt by all.

withinireland said...

That is beautiful!

Giggles said...

I cried when I read that. I am a daughter and it's exactly what my mother has always told me...you just put it into words! I love it!

OR Melling said...

Thanks for lovely comments!