Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Me and Bilbo

Young or old, it's important to have adventures. They remind you that you are alive and that there is magic in the world. I didn't have nearly enough last year and I've decided to be more pro-active in that regard this year. In fact, I've decided I have to have one good-sized adventure per month in 2009. In keeping with that resolution, I am off for a 2-week residency in a Franciscan Friary in Multyfarnham, Co. Westmeath. (Here's a pic of the famous friary church.) They have invited artists, environmentalists and other odd sods and bods to pursue their own work in the monastery while also joining in discussions about the Order's intention to establish a Caring for Creation Centre. I'll be working on my adult book - rather appropriate, as it's a work of 'spiritual fiction' (to use Paulo Coelho's term) - but I'm also bringing my wellies in the hope of working in the garden. That's January's adventure and I'll report on it with pics when I return. February I am back at Dunderry for a weekend called "The Shaman's Heart" and March sees me in Forres, Scotland doing an Experience Week at Findhorn (about time!). I'll dream up some more stuff for the following months, but that's a solid start.

1 comment:

Emerging Writer said...

Hi, Just came across this post researching these residencies. Do you have a post writing about your experience there?