Sunday, February 01, 2009

Franciscan Sojourn




Just back from my residency in a Franciscan Friary in Westmeath. Oh my God -and I mean the pun - it was glorious. I'll talk about the work I did on my Book Blog, but here I will say that I spent two weeks with five amazing holymen and three other artists. Here's some of the stuff I did besides write: got up seriously early to attend 7:30 Mass in the Lady's Chapel, meditated and prayed and sang at 9:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. daily, explored the corridors and rooms of the two abandoned wings, walked in the garden, climbed the 17th century tower (pics to come) of the restored church, played Scrabble, had long chats about theology, Transactional Analysis, Enneagrams, art, life, the universe and everything, read a ton of books including Teilhard de Chardin's Le Divin Milieu, engaged in a discussion session on the Cosmic Christ, shared meals in the big Dining Room downstairs and also in the smaller kitchen upstairs where we had breakfast and supper, did an art therapy session with Fr Joe, the Guardian (whom most of us would call the Abbot). I really didn't want to leave, though I have a gazillion things to do here at home. Truly I am meant to live in community. I loved every minute of it.

No comments: