Saturday, March 07, 2009

Lent

I'm not religious per se - or is it that I am poly-religious? - I just like getting into the spirit (ahem) of things. When in Rome (ahem ahem) ... So I decided to give up crisps, a serious weakness of mine. There I was in Tesco, Ash Wednesday, and I forthrightly marched past the aisle where the crisps were, all pleased with myself and my willpower. Then it happened. Just past the aisle was a devious stand offering 'buy one, get one free' for a six-pack of Walkers crisps. I was vulnerable, as I had just won the previous skirmish and was cocky and offguard. (You know, when you reward yourself with a cigarette for not smoking all day?) I went down, man, I went down. It took me two days to eat the 12 packets (Finn helped). Filled with remorse and long lost Catholic guilt, I added chocolate to my Lenten fast in penance for my sins. Will I make it? So far, so good. But I baked a clementine cake yesterday and almost ate the whole thing in one go. Hey, I didn't give up cake ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those crisps will get you every time! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about the lent I know a person who said they would give up chocolate bars and as soon as they said it they ate one!! weird or wat!!!!