Monday, November 02, 2009

Celtic New Year

I'm still recovering from swine flu (oink!): no worse than any other kind of flu except that it takes ages for you to return to normal. A week over it, I am still debilitated and my ribs are sore from coughing. Alas this meant I could not do a Sweat Lodge on the weekend as my body couldn't take it. However, I did manage to have popcorn and copper money ready for the kids who came to my door and here is my porch decorated with one of Finn's amazing puppets (on the window sill) and a stuffed witch whose mask was made by her also and whose body was made by me. (Her chest is a teddy bear!) Now I usually point out that Hallowe'en or OĆ­che Shamhna (in Irish) is the beginning of the Celtic New Year and the time when the veils between the worlds are thin and the dead and the Faerie Folk walk the earth. But I have been told by those in the know that according to the lunar calendar - by which the Celtic year is marked - that that day will not be here until November 15. Still, it was a powerful night what with a full moon as well and I made my wishes for the new year.

No comments: