Saturday, January 23, 2010

Life at the Abbey with Pema Chodron

I am reading Pema Chodron's amazing book When Things Fall Apart - "when things are shaky we are on the verge of something" - and was amazed and surprised to discover that she is the resident teacher of a Tibetan monastery in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia! I hope to go there for a residency one day even though they get up at 5:30 am to begin the day (!!!). It looks truly amazing. And I am caught by the notion of 'putting awakening at the centre of my life.'

2 comments:

gadget said...

This seems like a very, very nice place. I don't think that I cold stay forever, but it would interesting to sample it.

I noticed your blog because I was just day before yesterday at the old site of the Meitheal Community on Inch Island. It is being reclaimed by the Earth now, but it still is very neat. The sunset from the crest of the hill behind is quite intense and peaceful. As the army base there is closed now, it would be interesting to see if it could be restored.

All the best to you on your journey and regards from me, a fellow traveler.

OR Melling said...

Did you make the connection between Meitheal and me through The Hunter's Moon? It was a police barracks, I think, and only army during the war. Not sure who owns it now. I have lovely memories of the place, but living in community, especially a small one, can be very hard.