Monday, February 21, 2011

Jigsaw Puzzles

I love jigsaw puzzles, something I picked up from my grandmother, I think. My Uncle Syl owned a jigsaw puzzle factory here in Bray, Co. Wicklow, and my Auntie Gerry was his manageress. He used to bring puzzles to my grandmother and she was always working on one. Those of you who read The Druid's Tune will remember Rosemary and Jimmy working on a jigsaw puzzle with the O'Donovan family on a rainy day in Leitrim. Last summer, I found two puzzles in the lighthouse keeper's cottage where I was staying on the Isle of Erraid. My friend Gillian and I took one each and worked away on them in the evenings throughout the week, assisted by fellow roomie Heike who read to us as we worked - fire crackling away - and who occasionally popped in a piece here and there. The two puzzles were completed before we left. Here's a pic of one I did on my return from India. It helped me land. Finn's Dad gave it to me for Christmas. The hieroglyphics nearly did my head in, but then I got the hang of them and recognised the various characters. So now I've got the jigsaw bug and had to go buy a box of 10 puzzles! I think they are good for the brain. Also a better way to relax than watching television. In my latest book, People of the Great Journey, I use the jigsaw puzzle as one of my connecting metaphors. Life always seeps into art.

No comments: