Wednesday, March 05, 2014

My Daughter, the Marine Scientist


I'm sorry, I can't help myself, being a proud mother. Finn (appropriate name for a marine scientist, eh? short for Findabhair of course) is setting sail tomorrow on this amazing research vessel, the Celtic Explorer, Ireland's finest, for two weeks work on cold water coral. She's doing her Masters of Science in NUI Cork after getting her B.Sc. Honours in NUI Galway. There have been some rough weather warnings, so she may be in for big swells, but she is her mother's daughter and has sea legs and stomach. We were talking about the day the two of us took a small ferry from Inisheer after eating big fries for breakfast at 7:00 am. When things got hairy on the ferry, with Spanish students throwing up over the sides, we were fine. A bit green, but otherwise fine. (What on earth were we thinking? A 'big fry' in Ireland means bacon, egg, sausage, mushrooms and tomatoes. Sometimes blood pudding and beans but we didn't go there.) Fair winds and following seas, m'girl!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you must be so proud, her aunties certainly all, such a beautiful women, intelligent, and just darned lovely meaning caring etc, I've been watching the pics on facebook, sometimes she looks just like you...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your daughter's career. Proud moment for a parent.
My daughter (now 23 yrs) and nine months (not prego, hehe) into her career as a medical lab tech. at a hospital in BC, Canada loves you books. and I, her mother who just turned 55, love your books. You are a Canadian Woman Literary Perfect Diamond Gem. One of the very best Canadian Woman authors.

A saleslady at Chapters suggested your book The Chronicles of Fairie. Then we waited for The Book of Dreams. And both read them over again. They're "keepers" on our bookshelves. Your books helped my daughter thru a trying medical condition in her teens and we both believe in fairies.
I am thoroughly enjoying you new book "People of the Great Journey". I will have to reread it really understand in greater depth. (I'm not a writer, heeh words are hard for me) You're, wise, witty and an intelligent woman. Yes, I'll let my daughter read it before I reread it. She's waiting. You are my Number One favorite author. and with your wonderful imagination and knowledge I look forward to more great books for you. Please write another series like The Golden Book of Fairie. Pure delightful wise magic. I agree, we are all family. I will write again when I finish reading you new book. God Bless, Heather And Crystal Taylor xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

OR Melling said...

Thank you for comments, both! And my goodness, Heather, I am blushing from your praise. (But delighted all the same.) I'm working on a screenplay at the moment, then a novel that isn't magical, I'm afraid; but who knows what the future holds after that. Lovely to hear about your daughter, also, and not surprised that you are proud!