Sunday, October 11, 2015

Scorned as Timber, Beloved of the Sky


I've always liked to sketch and paint and have to wonder why it took me so long to do something about it. (Too busy writing, travelling and child-rearing?) So I've enrolled in a full-time two-year art course in a college around the corner from me with classes in painting, drawing, textiles, metalwork, woodwork, desktop publishing and ceramics. Loving every minute of it! Was welding last week - terrifying but exciting. Here's my first attempt at painting after a few years absence: an acrylic on paper version of my favourite Canadian painter Emily Carr's oil on canvas Scorned as Timber, Beloved of the Sky. (Haven't finished it yet.) Carr lived a lonely life in a cabin in the deep woods of British Columbia, along with her dogs. I read her autobiographical Hundreds and Thousands years ago. She was a great writer as well as painter.

No comments: