Monday, March 07, 2016

Cancer Must be a Lonely Disease


Or is it just me? I've been undergoing tests at my doctor's request due to some early warning signs and the fact that one of my sisters had it (but she's all right now, hurrah). I've mentioned the situation, along with references to hospital visits, MRIs and what not to family and various friends and the degree to which they've either made a vague enquiry promptly forgotten or have totally ignored the news is astonishing. Except the sister who had it, of course, who immediately skyped me to find out what was what. Is that it? Except for those who have had it, are people so terrified by the Big C that they simply cannot countenance the very thought of it and go immediately into denial? Well I hope that's it ... as opposed to me being surrounded by people who could care less!

4 comments:

Nadine McGrath said...

It's a fairly lonely disease despite being so common. There's not much that can be said in the face of cancer; personally it has taken away two people I love. It's an uncomfortable disease, like this creeping fear that only you can fight. I think most people are in denial when a loved one becomes ill. In fact most people don't want to even think about a person dying until they're truly dead. It hurts too much I think to watch someone, especially a friend, "waste away" and become weaker which is stupid because the person who has cancer and does their best to keep living despite is the strongest type of person there is. I hope you are faring well dear author. You've got far too many stories left to share.

OR Melling said...

Thanks Nadine. So far so good with two out of four tests clear - the most important two - but still awaiting results of two more. Far worse is the fact that my daughter has been called in for tests, as of yesterday. Trying to stay calm. The number of people I've known to have cancer is steadily growing. I'm going to blog about two words that keep coming to mind: Sellafield and Chernobyl.

OR Melling said...

ps loved your blog on Alan Rickman.

Nadine McGrath said...

That's really good, I hope you and your daughter are doing better. My thoughts are with you and yours. Thank you for reading that post. He was a great actor.